As a counsellor and hypnotherapist, I’ve worked with hundreds of people to help them overcome anxiety and/or panic attacks. Should you choose to work with me, my aim is to do the same for you too. During your counselling or hypnotherapy sessions I’ll help you development the skills necessary for reducing anxiety and panic attacks, and preventing further recurrences. Typical sessions often include:
- relaxation to reduce chronic tension,
- techniques to deal with and let go of worrying thoughts and feelings,
- learning more helpful coping and problem solving strategies, and
- learning to live with uncertainty.
What is generalised anxiety?
It’s perfectly normal to feel tense, stressed and worried at times. Stress can even be helpful in certain situations as it can improve your performance or increase your ability to take action. However, anxiety (worrying, feeling stressed or fearful) can become a debilitating and distressing problem. Generalised anxiety involves:
- Anxiety or worry about several things for prolonged periods of time
- Anxiety or worry that is excessive and uncontrollable, present most days and interferes with day to day life.
Some of the following symptoms will usually also be present:
- Feeling restless, nervous, anxious or on edge
- Feelings of physical tension
- Physical symptoms such as headaches, palpitations, nausea, etc.
- Poor sleep
- Feeling tired or exhausted easily
- Problems concentrating and focusing on a task
- Feeling easily annoyed or irritable
- Feeling afraid as if something awful might happen
How many people are affected by anxiety?
About 2% of people develop generalised anxiety at some point in their lives.
What are panic attacks?
Panic attacks cause overwhelming fear and panic. They can last from a few minutes to hours. Often they happen for no apparent reason. Whilst panic attacks are quite harmless and treatable, they can feel terrifying. Symptoms include:
- Increased heart rate, palpitations
- Trembling or shaking
- Shortness of breath or choking sensations
- Chest pain or feeling like you are having a heart attack
- Feeling disconnected and distant as if in a dream
- Sweating, hot flushes or the chills
- Tingling sensations or numbness
- Upset stomach
Carolyn is a counsellor, hypnotherapist and supervisor based in Plymouth, UK. She offers counselling and hypnotherapy at her practice in Plymouth and online via Zoom.